Support, guidance & advice for todays primary carers
Please palates with this ginger spiced pudding. Carrot & ground almonds keep this decadent pudding moist throughout the cooking process, and the bittersweet caramel sauce provides a luxurious touch. It’s even better with a scoop of ice cream!
PREP TIME: 20 mins | COOK TIME: 40 minutes | SEASON: Autumn, Winter | ABILITY: Easy | MAKES: 2.5L
I BEST SERVED: Fresh can be frozen
- 1 egg
- 90g grapeseed oil or similar
- 110g treacle
- 120g castor sugar
- 160g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 ¼ tsp bi-carb soda
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- 75g ground almonds
- 80g grated carrot
- 125g boiling water
- 210g (1 cup) castor sugar
- 125g (1/2 cup) water
- 250g (1 cup) cream
SERVE WITH ICE CREAM
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 175c, grease and line a 20cm round tin with parchment paper.
- Place the egg, oil, treacle and sugar in the bowl of a mixing machine- beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Sieve the flour, spice and soda into a large bowl, and add salt and almonds.
- Add flour to the whisked egg mix, along with the carrot and water- mix until combined.
- Pour into the prepared mould and bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked through and a skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- SAUCE- Place the sugar and water in a medium-sized saucepan- bring to a boil and simmer until turned to a golden caramel colour. Remove from the heat and add the cream (carefully as the mix may spit), whisk to combine and then return to the stove on low to simmer for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Serve a slice of warmed pudding with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.
Summer 2023 Out Now
Care & Ageing Well Expo Melb 2024
Carer Gateway is an Australian Government program providing free services and support for carers. Call Carer Gateway for support and access to services, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm local time.
Assistance with accessing emergency respite is available any time, 24/7.