Support, guidance & advice for todays primary carers
Maggie Beer takes the familiar sausage roll, incorporates flavour, and wellbeing, adding ingredients.
Prep time | 30 minutes Cook time | 30 minutes Season | Autumn, Spring Makes | 24 pieces
TIP | Make ahead and freeze raw, simply defrost on trays and bake on the day
MAGGIE BEER’S INGREDIENTS
25ml extra virgin olive oil
1 onions (130g), chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
0.5 Tblsps (2g) fresh thyme leaves
150g mushroom, cut into 6
1 (80g) carrots, grated
20g flat leaf parsley chopped
90g cooked brown lentils
80g rolled oats
¼ cup (20g) bread crumbs or ground almonds
80g Persian fetta
Sea salt flakes & ground black pepper
2 sheets butter puff pastry
1 egg yolk, splash of milk
Sesame seeds (optional)
Tomato chutney to serve
MAGGIE BEER’S METHOD
- Pre heat a fan forced oven to 220c
- Line 2 oven trays with parchment paper.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and chopped onion, cook for five minutes
- Add garlic, thyme, some salt and butter, cook for a further three minutes until the onion is translucent and soft.
- Increase the heat to high, add chopped mushrooms and cook until soft, reduce the heat to medium low, stir occasionally until all the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and place mix into food processor, along with remaining ingedients – pulse until the mix is brought together, keeping some texture, check the seasoning.
- Place sheets of puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface and cut in half, so you have 4 pieces in total.
- Brush each top and bottom edge of the pastry with egg yolk and milk mix.
- Place ¼ of the mushroom and lentil mix in a long even line. Using pressure, roll the puff pastry around the filling, finishing so the yolk brushed edge is on the bottom of the roll,
- Place on prepared tray and repeat with the remaining rolls – you should have 4 rolls in total.
- Brush tops with egg yolk and milk mix (and sesame seeds if using).
- Place into preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes until lovely and golden, reduce the heat to 190c and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack, cut and serve with chutney.
For more recipes from Maggie Beer visit Maggie Beer’s website.
Summer 2023 Out Now
Care & Ageing Well Expo Melb 2024
Carer Gateway is an Australian Government program providing free services and support for carers. Call Carer Gateway for support and access to services, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm local time.
Assistance with accessing emergency respite is available any time, 24/7.
Maggie Beer’s Pork & Beef Meatballs
Maggie Beer’s Lemon, Blueberry & Yoghurt Loaf
Maggie Beer’s Mushroom and lentil sausage rolls
Maggie Beer’s Kale and pinenut tart with chickpea crust and lemon crème fraiche
Warm Gingerbread Pudding With Caramel Sauce for Winter